Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ask Dashing Downward


In my first installment of "Ask Dashing Downward" a reader asked me:

"How do you balance some amount of historical accuracy with audience interest as regards the proportion of entertainers at an event representing different class levels?"

In attempting to remain true to the flavor of life in another time, while keeping the audience's interests in mind, We are always performing a balancing act. It is also a reality that, especially at the all-volunteer west coast events, we are limited to the number of actors who are willing to come and spend their time and money to populate the lanes of our events. In order for it to be worth it to them, they need to enjoy themselves, so it is best that they be allowed to portray characters that please them, and with which they personally resonate.

This usually results in a population that doesn't necessarily represent the spectrum or proportion of people who might have attended the theoretical event. Due to the highly individualistic nature of "creative" people, in order to stand out, or be "special", or "different", or "glamorous", they adopt anomalous characters, which is a pity, because it offers the audience a skewed idea of life in the target place and time; when everybody wants to play the exception, the mean gets lost.

I see nothing incompatible between an audience's pleasure and a realistic representation of a population. If we have done our homework, are thoroughly grounded in the time and place, and are enthusiastic and engaging, a tenant farmer, a goodwife, or a merchant can be remarkably entertaining, without stepping outside the bounds of the target place and time.

At the event I direct, I have established a more or less "English Only" policy, and restricted the cast to characters who would most likely be found at a Michaelmas festival in Warwickshire, England in the late 1570s. Naturally this excludes many performers who usually play Germans, Italians, Spanish, Scots, Irish, Bushmen of the Kalahari, Ninjas, and Roman legionnaires. While I have made exceptions, I believe the policy contributes to the thematic integrity of the show, which is certainly in the audience's best interests.

When I first began working for that event, I was so insistent on my vision that I wanted to exclude the idea of Queen Elizabeth and her court being present. After all, the probability of them visiting such a common, lowbrow happening would have been absolutely nil, and the historic record contains no references to such a thing happening. But our producers felt it was vital to have that element, as that is what the public has come to expect from a "Renaissance Faire." More balancing act.

There was one group, which normally portrays Scottish border rievers who wanted to appear at my event, but their group's concept didn't fit into the theme I had established. I wanted to accommodate them and find a win/win scenario for all of us. I guessed that part of their motivation was in wearing "The Black Hat", so I asked that they consider portraying a gang of organized thieves, something that was certainly present at an Elizabethan festival, and they set to the task. They met my expectations beautifully, and they enjoyed it enough to make it worth their while. I had simply offered them a different black hat to wear.

Education and communication are the key to getting the performers on board with the program, and some work on the part of the event's Entertainment Director. Unfortunately, very few events have somebody acting in that capacity. Yes, there are "guild coordinators" and people who hire stage acts, but they're more logistically than creatively oriented. But for an event which is essentially a theatrical environment, I think that such an officer is absolutely necessary in order enforce the theme, and create and enforce theatrical and historical standards.

2 comments:

  1. Rydell, I've always been really impressed at your ability to channel people's desires and creative aspirations in a direction which will please them and support the event. That takes creativity and a good sense of human resources. I think 'the Black Hat' is a really great example of how everyone can work together to create something cool they would never have thought of alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have known you since you were that young teenager up North when I started coming up to Black Point. I have watched you grow from young boy to young man. I really am impressed with what you have accomplished in a relatively short span of time. You started your Faire career as my Personal Attendant and have climbed the ladder to Nobleman. I can't say often enough how proud of you I am. I love you to death and will always think you you as my little brother. Keep going and climb as high as you can.

    ReplyDelete